Very good copy of this uncommon work, printed on thick paper. The plates by Visentini were first published in Temanza's “”Antichità di Tomaso Rimino”” in 1741. Temanza (1705-1789) was an architect working in Venice. Luigi Nardi, an archaelogist decided re-use the plates and added accompanying descriptive text. He also added engravings of the exterior of Alberti's Tempio Malatestina, three of the reliefs from that building and some related medals and provided detailed descriptions of the Roman triumphal arches and the Malatesta Temple, one of the most important buildings of the Renaissance designed by Giovanni Battista Alberti. Nardi therefore “”made the first publication on that important building”” (Weinreb).
The finely executed large copper plates depict statues, buildings and architectural motifs.
First edition, 4to (35 x 26 cm), 81 pp., stamp on title-page, with 17 (4 folding) copper plates (five plates by Antonio Visentini), all numbered, some spotting throughout, bound in contemporary green morocco backed boards, some wear.
Cicognara 4053; Schlosser-Magnino 585; UCBA II, 1448; Weinreb cat. 40 Italy, Architecture and Antiquity, 258.